UK: Racism by teachers and students still rampant
London: Racism is still prevalent in England`s schools, with both pupils and teachers guilty of racist behaviour, a research has suggested.
The study, by anti-racism charity Show Racism the Red Card, supported by the National Union of Teachers (NUT), revealed that over four-fifths, 83 percent of teachers had witnessed racist attitudes or behaviour amongst their students, that included name-calling, comments, jokes and stereotyping of different races.
Almost 31 percent of those questioned said they had seen similar behaviour among teachers, showing the attitudes were not just restricted to pupils, The Mirror reports.
In some cases, they used racist terminology, or had lower expectations of ethnic minority pupils.
The report suggested that there was evidence of a lack of action against racist attitudes and behaviour and a lack of understanding of the mechanisms and reasons for reporting racist incidents.
The research highlighted a reluctance to report incidents, which were considered a first offence or where it was felt that the racism was unintentional.
Ged Grebby, chief executive of Show Racism the Red Card, said that there is a huge gap in the current teacher training provision when it comes to preparing teachers to tackle racism and embed equality.
“Teachers need to be empowered with skills and knowledge in order to be better equipped to deal with these issues in schools,” said Grebby.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report