UK: Racism by teachers and students still rampant
London: Racism is still prevalent in England`s schools, with both pupils and teachers guilty of racist behaviour, a research has suggested.
The study, by anti-racism charity Show Racism the Red Card, supported by the National Union of Teachers (NUT), revealed that over four-fifths, 83 percent of teachers had witnessed racist attitudes or behaviour amongst their students, that included name-calling, comments, jokes and stereotyping of different races.
Almost 31 percent of those questioned said they had seen similar behaviour among teachers, showing the attitudes were not just restricted to pupils, The Mirror reports.
In some cases, they used racist terminology, or had lower expectations of ethnic minority pupils.
The report suggested that there was evidence of a lack of action against racist attitudes and behaviour and a lack of understanding of the mechanisms and reasons for reporting racist incidents.
The research highlighted a reluctance to report incidents, which were considered a first offence or where it was felt that the racism was unintentional.
Ged Grebby, chief executive of Show Racism the Red Card, said that there is a huge gap in the current teacher training provision when it comes to preparing teachers to tackle racism and embed equality.
“Teachers need to be empowered with skills and knowledge in order to be better equipped to deal with these issues in schools,” said Grebby.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31