UK recoups 135 million Pound in tax from Swiss bank list
London: Britain has recovered USD 231 million from clients named on a leaked list of HSBC`s private banking operation in Switzerland, the tax authority has said.
Her Majesty`s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) yesterday told a parliamentary hearing that one person had been prosecuted from a list of 24,000 HSBC Private Bank clients leaked by former employee Herve Falciani, who said he wanted to expose tax evasion.
The leak sent shockwaves through the world of Swiss banking, long valued by wealthy individuals for its stability and traditions of banking secrecy, and led to a French probe into HSBC to determine whether it had also helped French customers avoid taxes.
The amount recovered by Britain was nonetheless substantially lower than the equivalent of 220 million Pound retrieved by Spain and 188 million Pound by France according to HMRC figures.
Britain had received strong enough data to pursue up to 3,800 taxpayers for payments - ideally through voluntary settlements rather than through costly prosecution, the tax authority said.
It added that 13 investigations were ongoing.
"We are very very interested - and determined - to shake some money out of these people, but I don`t think it`ll all be by prosecutions," HMRC chief executive Lin Homer told the hearing.
"So far we have a yield of 135 million Pound, but we are not finished."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- SC rejects review petition of Telangana for division of assets
- VIDEO! Lionel Messi wins UEFA 'Goal of the Season' award for scoring this beauty
- Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra's mushy love in 'Baar Baar Dekho' new still is just so aww!
- Bodo outfits to restart statehood movement on August 30
- 92 paise insurance premium for train travellers from August 31