UK report clears pilots in 1994 Chinook crash
London: An official report released on Wednesday on a helicopter crash that killed 29 senior British military, intelligence and law enforcement officials cleared the pilots who were initially blamed for the accident.
The Chinook helicopter came down in thick fog as it carried officials from Northern Ireland to a security conference in Scotland in June 1994.
The initial Royal Air Force report accused the pilots of "gross negligence”, but relatives of the deceased and some lawmakers have long insisted equipment failure was to blame.
A report from a panel led by a retired Scottish judge concluded that the pilots should not have been blamed and said the exact cause of the crash would likely never be known.
Defence Secretary Liam Fox apologised to the families of the two pilots, Flight Lt Jonathan Tapper and Flight Lt Richard Cook. They died with two other crew members and 25 passengers when the helicopter crashed onto the Mull of Kintyre peninsula on the west coast of Scotland.
Fox said there was no evidence to support claims of technical shortcomings on the Chinook, which "has had an excellent safety record since the disaster on the Mull”.
Families of the dead pilots said the report would give them closure at last.
"The reputations of these two young officers have been restored and we feel a dreadful wrong has been righted," said Cook`s brother, Chris Cook.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day