UK scraps inquiry into torture of terror suspects

Last Updated: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 21:55

London: Britain`s Justice Secretary says a
government commissioned inquiry into the mistreatment of
terrorism suspects has been cancelled amid a new police

Ken Clarke told the House of Commons today the long
delayed national inquiry, intended to scrutinise possible
abuses during the so-called "war on terror" would not take

It follows the decision last week for police to
investigate claims Britain played a role in the alleged
torture and rendition of two Libyan men, including Tripoli`s
military council commander Abdel-Hakim Belhaj.

Judge Peter Gibson`s inquiry had already been delayed
since 2010 by a police inquiry into the actions of two British
intelligence officers at the Guantanamo Bay prison camp in
Cuba, and in Afghanistan.


Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.

First Published: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 21:55

More from zeenews

comments powered by Disqus