UK secretly training Syrian rebels against Assad?
London: British officials are secretly equipping Syrian rebels with satellite phones in a bid to topple President Bashar al-Assad.
The supply of the latest generation of handsets is part of the Foreign Office`s mission to mould militias into a coalition capable of governing the country.
The phones, used by the Ministry of Defence, are designed for rugged environments and are shock, dust and water-resistant, the Daily Mail reports.
Whitehall sources also confirmed that the Foreign Office is teaching negotiation and ``stabilisation`` skills to opposition leaders, and advising on how to address the Syrian people.
According to military experts, the presence of Foreign Office officials and the provision of training and equipment to the opposition mean that British Special Forces are likely to be operating in Syria.
"The UK Government cannot give practical support to the rebels without a presence inside Syria, and any Foreign Office officials seeking to liaise with the opposition leaders would require close protection from Special Forces," ex-British Army commander Richard Kemp, a former member of the Government`s Joint Intelligence Committee, said.
It said Iran`s Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi spoke on the phone with Turkish and Qatari foreign ministers and demanded their intervention to help release them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Was Test captain Virat Kohli overruled by BCCI, CAC in India coach appointment?
- Swami Prasad Maurya is a traitor: Mayawati
- Gold slips from 26-month high, down Rs 485 on fall in demand
- Watch this video! Your stomach will churn as man puts 2 live vampire bats in mouth
- WATCH: On this day in 1983, Kapil Dev's India were crowned world champion