UK seeks to boost defence ties with India
London: India and the UK are set to boost defence ties with British Defence Secretary Bob Ainsworth planning to undertake a key visit to New Delhi soon.
Britain has said there is tremendous scope for strengthening defence cooperation between India and the UK.
"India is growing in importance economically and politically. There is a partnership growing between Britain and India and there is a very, very significant opportunity out there to forge defence cooperation," Ainsworth said.
Speaking at the `Labour Friends of India` reception, which was also attended by the British Foreign Secretary David Miliband, Ainsworth said he planned to visit India soon.
Indian High Commissioner Nalin Surie underlined the growing "strategic partnership" between the two countries. "We (India) would like to underscore the strategic partnership between us and underwrite the partnership across the board, in which defence will be one of the elements," Surie said at the function yesterday.
British parliamentarians Barry Gardiner, Virender Sharma, Keith Vaz, Paramjit Dhanda and former Employment Minister Tony McNulty were among the 80-odd prominent members who attended the reception.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends