UK: Sikh sex offender was on Queen`s Royal barge
London: A Sikh sex offender, who posed as a doctor in the UK to prey on women, had been an invitee to the Jubilee pageant of the Queen on the Royal Barge on Sunday.
Harbinder Singh Rana, 52, who was jailed in the 1980s for a series of attacks on women, was believed to be a doctor and performed internal examinations and administered injections.
However, Rana served four years for his crimes, and has since reinvented himself as a pillar of the community.
Now, the fact that the Sikh charity director, who now lives in Walsall in the West Midlands, was allowed to mingle with VIPs on the Royal Barge during Sunday’s River Pageant has raised a furore and posed many questions.
According to the Daily Mail, the former management consultant was invited to join the exclusive celebrations by Prince Charles in his capacity as community leader and reportedly came into close contact with every senior royal including Prince Philip, Camilla, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry.
“I was given the invitation and I attended. The fact that the Prince of Wales invited me clearly shows what I have done for the community since then,” Rana said.
“I have a relationship with some of Charles’s staff, not him – although I have met him at events, yes. I have made it clear I wasn’t representing the Sikh community, I was there because I was very happy to be invited,” he added.
He is understood to have met the prince through his charity work for the Anglo-Sikh heritage trail, a group that promotes Sikh culture in Britain.
However, palace sources claimed the prince was completely unaware of the charity director’s shameful past and would never have invited him had he known.
Questions will now be raised about why apparently no checks were carried out on his background before he was allowed to be photographed within inches of senior royals.
An investigation into how such an unsuitable guest sailed through the vetting process will likely soon be under way.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official