UK steward jailed for mid-air bomb hoax
London: A steward working on a flight from London to Tokyo has been jailed for six months after he admitted making a bomb hoax mid-way on the back of a toilet door in February.
Sussex-based Mathew Davis, 22, wrote in the note, "The bomb on this plane will explode at 16:00GMT unless demands are met".
The note was discovered by a cabin crew colleague as the British Airways plane was flying over the Middle East, the police today said.
The captain assessed the threat as a hoax and alerted the authorities.
Davis was arrested by officers from the Metropolitan Police Service Aviation Security Command when he arrived back at Heathrow Airport.
During a police interview, Davis said he was responsible for writing the note in the misguided thought that if he handled the situation well he would be able to mention this in his performance review.
He was sentenced at the Isleworth Crown Court last week.
Superintendent Matthew Twist of the Metropolitan Police Service Aviation Security Command said, "As someone employed within the aviation industry, Mr Davis would have been well aware of the serious consequences of making a bomb threat, regardless of whether he intended for this threat to be taken seriously or not."
He added, "The potential consequences of the threat being made could have led to significant distress and a great deal of financial loss and inconvenience to both the airline and all of the passengers and crew onboard."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen