UK students protest fee hike, attack police van
London: Demonstrators attacked a police
van in central London Wednesday as thousands of university and
school children took to the streets across Britain to protest
against major funding cuts that will see their annual fees
rise three times for degree courses.
The David Cameron government recently announced cuts
worth nearly 4 billion pounds to the university sector,
sparking protests from academics and students.
Today, a student mob attacked a police van in central
London as thousands of students and schoolchildren marched
past ministry buildings in Whitehall towards the Houses of
A group of masked young men attacked a police van
parked in the middle of the street in London and covered it
Later, the mob rocked it from side to side trying to
overturn it, smashed the front windscreen, pulled off the wing
mirrors and jumped on top of its roof.
Some demonstrators hanged an effigy of Lib Dem leader
and deputy prime minister Nick Clegg.
Similar protests were reported from Bristol,
Sheffield, Bournemouth, Oxford, Cambridge and Cardiff and
Glasgow, among others.
The Conservative party headquarters in London was
attacked during a major demonstration in London earlier this
The students wrote a letter to Clegg a letter today,
reading: "We call on you to withdraw Lib Dem support for
Conservative cuts to our education system, or face the
disappointment and anger of a generation that has been
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks