UK survivor of Mum 26/11 terror attacks sues Taj
London: Will Pike, a London-based survivor
of the Mumbai terror attacks that left him crippled for life
after falling 50 feet from his bedroom window, has sued
Mumbai`s Taj Mahal Palace Hotel for "failing" to provide
guests with adequate security.
Proceedings have been started in the High Court here and
a notice was served last week on the London base of the Indian
Hotel Company Limited (IHCL), which owns the Taj Hotel.
Pike`s lawyer Russell Levy told PTI today that the case
involves a "very substantial sum", which is necessary to
ensure that Pike is properly looked after for the rest of his
life, including a specially adapted residence and special
Pike was in the hotel with his former girlfriend Kelly
Doyle when the terrorists attacked the hotel.
IHCL, he said, has a considerable presence in England,
which makes it easy to deal with the case here rather than in
When asked to comment on the case, a company spokesman
said they did not want to comment on it as the matter is sub
Levy said: "We are proceeding with legal action in
England after our request for a meeting with the hotel owners
was refused. They have instead suggested that Pike return to
India to pursue legal action and threatened to seek to recover
legal costs from him and Doyle."
Pike`s spinal cord was injured when he fell from his room
window, and since then has only limited sensation and
functionality below the waist. He is confined to a wheelchair.
Pike, 32, an advertising copywriter who is unlikely to be
able to walk again, launched a campaign to ensure that British
victims of terrorism abroad secure the same level of
government compensation as victims of such acts in the UK. The
policy was changed in January to benefit such victims of
Levy, from the legal company Leigh Day & Co, said the
case was "not being brought out of vengeance or retribution",
but it was his view as well as those of experts that the Taj
Hotel was not adequately protected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27