UK teacher banned for using aerosol on Asian kids
London: A nursery teacher in Britain, who sprayed Asian pupils with air freshener for smelling of curry, has been banned from teaching for a minimum of two years.
Elizabeth Davies, 50, who was found guilty of a string of charges by a General Teaching Council for Wales (GCTW), was struck off the teaching register after she humiliated children aged three to six in her primary school class.
“It is our view that Mrs Davies’ behaviour strikes at the heart of what it is to be a teacher,” the Daily Mail quoted panel chairman Peter Williams as saying.
He went on to describe it as a “complete disregard for the children’s dignity which should be preserved at all times”, and that it included an “insensitivity to the (children’s) needs, in particular in relation to their intimate care”.
The Cardiff hearing was told that Davies would use the air freshener in the morning after accusing Bangladeshi children of smelling of “onions or curry”.
The panel heard how Davies, a nursery school teacher for 21 years, would warn youngsters “there is a waft coming in from paradise” moments before targeting them with air freshener.
She would then target a short, sharp squirt at an offending child’s bottom.
Davies, who was working at Hafod Primary School in Swansea at the time, was found guilty of leaving wet or soiled children unchanged and also prevented other support staff changing them.
Children were made to stand on newspaper in their soiled or wet condition until collected by their parents.
The GCTW panel ruled that guilt in all five offences together amounted to unacceptable professional conduct.
The prohibition order served on the teacher will operate for a minimum of two years before she is eligible for readmission to the teaching register.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das