UK to double oil rig inspections following BP leak
London: British officials said on Tuesday they
would double the number of inspections carried out at oil rigs
in the North Sea following the disastrous leak at a
BP-operated installation in the Gulf of Mexico.
Britain`s Department of Energy said the average number of
annual environmental checks aboard the country`s 24-odd
drilling rigs would rise from eight to 16, and said it was
hiring three extra inspectors to help pursue the more
aggressive program. The department did not provide details of
the inspections, but said they involved visits to each rig.
Energy Secretary Chris Huhne said that while he believed
the measures governing the nation`s offshore energy industry
were robust, the catastrophic leak and its aftermath had given
the government "pause for thought".
Tens of millions of litres of oil have already been
pumped into the Gulf of Mexico after a deadly blast at the
Deepwater Horizon rig turned its well into an oil geyser,
staining beaches and costing hundreds of millions of dollars.
London-based energy company BP PLC has repeatedly failed
to plug the well over the past month and a half, although a
cap recently installed above the gusher has started siphoning
off at least some of the spill.
BP also operates a large network of platforms, pipelines,
and terminals up and down the North Sea, where oil and gas
exploration began in the 1960s. With new energy exploration
beginning in deep waters off the Scottish archipelago of
Shetland, Huhne said there was "every reason to increase our
Huhne also promised the creation of a new oil industry
group to report on the Britain`s ability to prevent and
respond to a potential spill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'