UK to grant Scotland binding independence vote
London: Britain`s government says it will give Scotland the power to hold a binding vote that would give it independence from Britain, turning back centuries of history.
Scotland`s ruling Scottish National Party, which has long advocated independence, had pledged to hold a referendum before 2016.
Under law, only Britain`s Parliament can order a binding vote, meaning it must temporarily offer the power to Scotland`s semi-autonomous administration.
Britain`s deputy treasury chief, Danny Alexander, said today that the UK government would offer the power, hoping Scotland will move quickly to hold a vote.
Prime Minister David Cameron has said he will campaign against attempts to sever Scotland from England for the first time since the 18th century.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living