UK to impose foreign language ban during driving tests
London: In a bid to stop cheating, Britain is set to ban immigrants from taking driving tests in Hindi, Gujarati, Punjabi, Bengali, Kashmiri, Tamil, Urdu and 12 other foreign languages under new plans to be unveiled next month.
British Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin ordered the crackdown to stop rogue interpreters helping people who cannot speak English cheat their way to a UK driving licence by telling them the answers to questions in both the theory and practical tests, the `Daily Mail` reported today.
More than 850 test passes have been revoked since 2009, while nine interpreters have been banned.
The UK currently provides the most generous driving test language system in Europe, with applicants able to take the theory test in no fewer than 19 languages besides English and Welsh, the report said.
Interpreters can be used to translate the examiner`s instructions in the practical test.
Roads Minister Stephen Hammond said: "There are real safety risks that if people cannot understand the language, they cannot understand signs and other rules of the road."
About 675 learners a week take the test with an interpreter in the back seat. A further 2,100 use them or rely on voice-overs for their theory exam, the Sun reported.
The free service, introduced by the Labour party, costs taxpayers GBP 250,000 a year.
Hammond has said he will launch a consultation this month.
"This isn`t about saving money, it`s about cutting out fraud and making roads safer," Hammond said.
Manchester City star Carlos Tevez, 28, got a six-month ban last week after a court heard he did not understand that "constabulary" meant "police".
Currently, one can ask for a voiceover in one of 21 languages if his/her first language is not English or if you can`t read or understand written English well.
The 19 foreign languages allowed are: Albanian, Arabic, Bengali, Cantonese, Dari, Farsi, Gujarati, Hindi, Kashmiri, Kurdish, Mirpuri, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Pushto, Spanish, Tamil, Turkish, Urdu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister