UK to probe tabloid phone hacking claims
London: The Scotland Yard on Thursday said it
would leave "no stone unturned" in the investigation into
allegations of phone hacking against a leading tabloid, the
News of the World.
Acting Commissioner Tim Godwin today said: "It will be
very robust and it will be under scrutiny as it should be. It
will restore confidence in victims who feel they have not been
given a service. It will be with no stone unturned.
"We have some of the most skilled investigators in the
country and you will be proud of what they do."
There are allegations that reporters hacked into cell
phone voicemail messages of celebrities and lawmakers. For
Prime Minister Gordon Brown has also asked the Yard to probe
if his phones were hacked.
Assistant Commissioner John Yates said police reopened
inquiries into the issue after they were passed "new and
highly significant material."
A reporter for the News of the World tabloid and a
private investigator were previously convicted over phone
hacking in 2007. Several celebrities have called for an
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC topper Tina Dabi's advice to girl students - Read
- Omar Abdullah rubbishes Mehbooba Mufti's claim, says ''she was aware of security encounter with Wani''
- Mainpuri Dalit couple murder: Akhilesh govt assures speedy justice to victim's kin
- Church attacker threatened France in new video
- Australian PM says won't back former leader Rudd for top UN job