UK under-resourced to fight a war with Iran: Expert
London: Britain does not have sufficient military resources to engage in an immediate war with Iran, as most of its resources are directed towards the Afghanistan campaign, a leading defence expert has warned.
“When it comes to the RAF (Royal Air Force), it is not a question of trimming the fat. The RAF has been cut to the bone and all resources are being directed to Afghanistan. We are unable to take part in any other conflict that should suddenly occur,” The Daily Express quoted Andrew Brookes, head of The Air League, as saying.
Iran’s nuclear ambitions and President Ahmadinejad’s boast that he would wipe Israel off the face of the earth have caused alarm at NATO.
Last week, satellite images revealed that a rocket launch site east of Tehran is capable of firing nuclear-armed Simorgh missiles.
Tim Ripley, a defence analyst at Jane’s, said: “In December, the Government shed GBP 900 million from the budget. The cuts have affected our ability to engage with Iran.”
“The bitter truth is that, with the exception of a nuclear strike, we would not be able to contribute to any conflict, even in a coalition.”
Experts’ warning comes after it emerged that Royal Air Force Tornado crews are getting barely 10 hours of flying time a month because of drastic cuts imposed by the Government to fund the war in Afghanistan.
The MoD said: “In Afghanistan, crews fly about three times the rate as they would in the UK. The RAF concentrates the Tornado effort on safe flying that wholly supports operations in Afghanistan.”
It follows a decision made in December by Defence Secretary Bob Ainsworth that the RAF is to lose a squadron to save cash.
December’s cuts are the clearest indication that all of Britain’s military resources are geared towards the Afghan war.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars