UK, US dismiss comparison of Libya, Syrian crises
Washington: The US and British defence chiefs are dismissing the idea that because the international community responded to unrest in Libya with military force, the same should be done in Syria, where a government crackdown on protesters has reportedly killed hundreds.
After meeting with Defence Secretary Robert Gates, British Defence Minister Liam Fox said on Tuesday that the world`s response to popular revolts across the Middle East and North Africa must be tailored to the circumstances of each case.
In a joint appearance with Fox at the Pentagon, Gates made a similar point, noting that before the military campaign in Libya was launched, there was a diplomatic process that resulted in calls for action by the Arab League, the Gulf Cooperation Council and the United Nations.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'