UK watchdog fines Queen`s bank almost 9 mn pound
London: Britain`s financial watchdog on Monday
handed Coutts, the private bank which counts Queen Elizabeth
II as a client, an 8.75-million pound fine for failing to
ensure it was not handling laundered money.
The Financial Services Authority said it had fined the
company, a division of the state-rescued Royal Bank of
Scotland, because it did not have the proper checks in place
when it started relationships with high-risk customers who
were considered vulnerable to corruption.
"The FSA has fined Coutts & Company 8.75 million pound
(USD 13.9 million, 10.5 million euros) for failing to take
reasonable care to establish and maintain effective anti-money
laundering (AML) systems and controls relating to high risk
customers, including politically exposed persons," it said in
"The failings at Coutts were serious, systemic and
were allowed to persist for almost three years. They resulted
in an unacceptable risk of Coutts handling the proceeds of
crime," the FSA added.
The failings took place between December 2007 and
November 2010, according to the watchdog, which had visited
Coutts in October 2010 as part of a review into banks`
management of high money-laundering risk situations.
In a separate statement, Coutts added that it had
cooperated "fully and openly" with the FSA throughout the
"We are disappointed that Coutts & Co did not meet the
FSA`s standards with regard to establishing and maintaining
effective AML controls in relation to high risk clients," said
Rory Tapner, boss of RBS Wealth Management.
"Since the FSA first raised its concerns, we have
implemented a number of improvements to prevent any recurrence
of these failings. Regulatory reforms continue apace.
"We remain committed to ensuring that our systems and
controls are robust and counter the risk of financial crime in
all the markets in which we operate."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview