UK watchdog to probe BBC payoffs
London: Britain`s public spending watchdog says it will investigate severance packages at the BBC in the wake of a highly-criticised payout to the broadcaster`s former director general.
The probe comes after a group of British lawmakers accused the BBC of being cavalier with taxpayers` money by paying 450,000 pounds (USD 730,000) in severance to George Entwistle, double the amount he was entitled to, when he quit last month over the BBC`s disastrous handling of fallout from the Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal.
Barry Lester, a spokesman for the National Audit Office, said today that the watchdog had written to BBC saying it wanted to look at Entwistle`s payout and that the broadcaster had responded by asking the NAO to undertake a wider study in 2013 on its severance packages.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?