Ukraine accuses protesters of `torturing` policeman
Kiev: Ukrainian authorities today accused opposition protesters of "torturing" a police officer in the basement of an occupied public building in Kiev as an opposition politician looked on.
The interior ministry said protesters in the capital Kiev yesterday night captured a policeman who wore plain clothes while on duty.
He was beaten and taken to the Kiev mayor`s office building, which is being occupied by demonstrators. Once there, he was "tortured", the ministry said.
"There they took away the policeman`s ID and personal belongings and continued to hit him multiple times," the ministry said in a statement.
The policeman was hospitalised with a head injury and concussion, said the ministry, adding that a member of the Svoboda (Freedom) nationalist party, Yuriy Levchenko, was present during the beating but did not intervene.
There was no immediate comment from Svoboda. The opposition has over the past two months been locked in a confrontation with the government of President Viktor Yanukovych.
Several people including protesters and police were shot dead during a recent outbreak of violence in the Ukrainian capital, parts of which have been turned into a battle zone.
The opposition fears the government may use the army to crush the protest movement which was sparked by Yanukovych`s decision to scrap a pact with the European Union in November.
The interior ministry said last week the protesters captured three policemen wounding one of them with a knife. The opposition has cast doubt on that claim.
A prominent opposition activist, who reappeared Thursday night after going missing more than a week ago, said he was tortured by unidentified assailants.
Dmytro Bulatov said his captors had cut off an ear and driven nails through his hands before dumping him in a forest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly