Ukraine announces nationwide `anti-terrorist` operation
Kiev: Ukraine`s security service on Wednesday announced a nationwide "anti-terrorist" operation in response to deadly anti-government protests.
"The National Security Service and Ukrainian Anti-Terrorist Centre have taken the decision to conduct an anti-terrorist operation across the territory of Ukraine," security agency head Oleksandr Yakimenko said in a statement.
President Viktor Yanukovych has been informed of the operation that will see security agencies work with the ministry of defence to strengthen state borders and maintain public order, the statement said.
"Radical and extremist groups are posing a real threat to the lives of millions of Ukrainians with their actions," Yakimenko said.
The statement said that over the past few days some 1,500 firearms and 100,000 bullets had ended up in the hands of "criminals".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday