Ukraine announces nationwide `anti-terrorist` operation
Kiev: Ukraine`s security service on Wednesday announced a nationwide "anti-terrorist" operation in response to deadly anti-government protests.
"The National Security Service and Ukrainian Anti-Terrorist Centre have taken the decision to conduct an anti-terrorist operation across the territory of Ukraine," security agency head Oleksandr Yakimenko said in a statement.
President Viktor Yanukovych has been informed of the operation that will see security agencies work with the ministry of defence to strengthen state borders and maintain public order, the statement said.
"Radical and extremist groups are posing a real threat to the lives of millions of Ukrainians with their actions," Yakimenko said.
The statement said that over the past few days some 1,500 firearms and 100,000 bullets had ended up in the hands of "criminals".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory