Ukraine army calls on prez to take urgent steps to ease crisis
Kiev: Ukraine`s armed forces on Friday urged embattled President Viktor Yanukovych to take "urgent steps" to ease the crisis in the ex-Soviet country, entering the fray on the political crisis for the first time.
"Servicemen and employees of Ukraine`s armed forces... have called on the commander-in-chief to take urgent steps within the limits of existing legislation with a view to stabilising the situation in the country and reaching consent in society," the defence ministry said in a statement.
Yanukovych is the commander-in-chief of the Ukrainian armed forces.
"The servicemen and employees of the armed forces called unacceptable the seizure of state offices, preventing representatives of state and local authorities from fulfilling their duties," the statement said.
They "noted that a further escalation of the confrontation threatens the country`s territorial integrity," the statement added.
Since November, Yanukovych has battled protests against his sudden decision to scrap a key pact with the European Union under the pressure from Russia.
These have since spiralled into an uprising seeking the president`s removal.
Turmoil in Ukraine has shown no signs of abating and Yanukovych yesterday took indefinite sick leave after savaging the "irresponsible" opposition for inflaming tensions.
In a rare show of contrition, Yanukovych also admitted mistakes yesterday, promising to show "more understanding for the demands and ambitions of people".
The opposition and their supporters in the streets have refused to budge however, with leaders of the protest movement including boxer-turned-politician Vitali Klitschko preparing to meet top EU and US officials in Germany this weekend.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Delhi Assembly passes resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday