Ukraine blocks Russian aid convoy as Red Cross unaware of content
Zee Media Bureau/Supriya Jha
Kiev: As scepticism grew over the 280 Russian trucks containing “humanitarian supplies”, Ukraine on Tuesday said that it won`t allow the convoys from Moscow to enter its territory unless it went through a border check and escorted by the Red Cross officials, reports said.
A convoy of 280 Russian trucks has come under the scanner of West and Ukraine after the International Committee of the Red Cross denied being in the know of the content and details of the so-called humanitarian aid.
Important details still need to be clarified, like content & volume of aid. We're in touch with #Ukraine and Russian authorities about this.
— ICRC (@ICRC) August 12, 2014
Ukraine`s National Security and Defense Council spokesperson Andriy Lysenko said as the convoy was not “certified by the International Committee of the Red Cross”, it won`t be allowed to enter Ukraine.
Earlier, French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius also expressed suspicion over the Russian convoy saying it might be a covert operation by Russian leader Vladimir Putin, suggesting that it was a ploy in the direction of invasion of east Ukraine.
“We must be cautious because this could be a cover for the Russians to install themselves near Lugansk and Donetsk... This [convoy] is only possible, only justifiable, if the Red Cross authorizes it,” he was quoted as saying by a French Radio.
Also, French President Francois Hollande talked to Putin directly over the doubts regarding the humanitarian trucks, saying any aid mission must be authorised by the Red Cross.
According to Russian media reports, humanitarian aid running into 2,000 tons was being carried to Ukraine after the ICRC reached a general agreement with Moscow about delivery of humanitarian aid to the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Water tanker scam: ACB trying to arrest me, says Delhi Water Minister Kapil Mishra
- Malegaon blast accused Sadhvi Pragya's bail plea rejected — What NIA court said
- PM condoles death of Naga leader Isak Swu
- Photo alert! Divyanka Tripathi and Vivek Dahiya’s pre-wedding shoot looks like a fairytale
- Watch: Tiger Shroff, alleged girlfriend Disha Patani's sizzling chemistry is unmissable in 'Befikra'!