Ukraine blocks Russian aid convoy as Red Cross unaware of content
Zee Media Bureau/Supriya Jha
Kiev: As scepticism grew over the 280 Russian trucks containing “humanitarian supplies”, Ukraine on Tuesday said that it won`t allow the convoys from Moscow to enter its territory unless it went through a border check and escorted by the Red Cross officials, reports said.
A convoy of 280 Russian trucks has come under the scanner of West and Ukraine after the International Committee of the Red Cross denied being in the know of the content and details of the so-called humanitarian aid.
Important details still need to be clarified, like content & volume of aid. We're in touch with #Ukraine and Russian authorities about this.
— ICRC (@ICRC) August 12, 2014
Ukraine`s National Security and Defense Council spokesperson Andriy Lysenko said as the convoy was not “certified by the International Committee of the Red Cross”, it won`t be allowed to enter Ukraine.
Earlier, French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius also expressed suspicion over the Russian convoy saying it might be a covert operation by Russian leader Vladimir Putin, suggesting that it was a ploy in the direction of invasion of east Ukraine.
“We must be cautious because this could be a cover for the Russians to install themselves near Lugansk and Donetsk... This [convoy] is only possible, only justifiable, if the Red Cross authorizes it,” he was quoted as saying by a French Radio.
Also, French President Francois Hollande talked to Putin directly over the doubts regarding the humanitarian trucks, saying any aid mission must be authorised by the Red Cross.
According to Russian media reports, humanitarian aid running into 2,000 tons was being carried to Ukraine after the ICRC reached a general agreement with Moscow about delivery of humanitarian aid to the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore