Ukraine crisis: Barack Obama to meet Arseniy Yatseniuk on Wednesday
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: US President Barack Obama will be meeting Ukrainian leader Arseniy Yatseniuk in an attempt to find a peaceful solution to the ongoing crisis in Ukraine.
Russia’s military intervention in the Crimea region will also be one of the main agendas of the talks and a possible solution to the situation without distrurbing the peace in the region will also be discussed.
The visit to the US would be Yatsenyuk`s first since he came to head the cabinet following the February 22 ouster of pro-Kremlin president Viktor Yanukovych.
The US has been rallying world support against Moscow after Russian forces reportedly took control of Crimea, an autonomous peninsula within Ukraine with a Russian ethnic majority.
Earlier Deputy National Security Adviser Tony Blinken said Obam`s meeting with Yatsenyuk was intended to demonstrate US support for Ukraine.
Blinken said the White House strategy is to mobilise the international community behind Ukraine, isolate Russia for its actions and reassure US allies and partners.
Obama is in Key Largo, Florida, with his family for the weekend, but on Saturday spoke individually with British Prime Minister David Cameron, Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi and French President Francois Hollande collectively with the presidents of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. The three Baltic nations are former Soviet republics that are now NATO members.
Blinken made his comments on NBC television`s "Meet the Press."
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read