Ukraine delays former PM`s trial for 22nd time
Kiev: A Ukrainian court Friday adjourned for the 22nd time the trial of former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko, who refused to show up at the court citing poor health.
"The court has ruled that it is impossible to hear the case in Tymoshenko`s and her lawyer Kozhemyakin`s absence," Judge Kostyantin Sadovsky said and set a new date of Sep 23, Xinhua reported.
Tymoshenko, who is now receiving medical treatment in state hospital in Kharkov city, has been charged with embezzling an estimated $405 million and evading tax worth more than $87,000 in the 1990s when she was president of the United Energy Systems of Ukraine.
Tymoshenko was detained in August 2011 and sentenced to seven years in prison on charges of abuse of office in a separate case.
The European Union (EU) has repeatedly expressed its support to Tymoshenko, saying her case is an example of selective justice in Ukraine. The release of Tymoshenko is one of the key preconditions for Kiev to sign a partnership political agreement and the free trade pact with EU in November.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi