Ukraine failed to act democratically: Mikhail Gorbachev
Sharjah: Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev said on Sunday that the political crisis in Ukraine, which has seen its president driven from the capital after months of protests, stems from its government`s failure to act democratically.
He spoke a day after demonstrators took over Kiev and seized President Viktor Yanukovych`s office as parliament voted to remove him and hold new elections.
Protesters first took to the streets of Kiev late last year after Yanukovych abandoned an agreement that would have strengthen his country`s ties with the European Union in favour of seeking closer cooperation with Moscow.
"Ultimately this is the result of the failure of the government to act democratically" and to engage in dialogue and fight corruption, Gorbachev said during an address at the International Government Communication Forum in the city of Sharjah in the United Arab Emirates.
He added that the root cause of the unrest in Ukraine was an "interruption of perestroika," referring to his reform policies, and "an interruption of the democratic process" there.
Gorbachev also criticised the disparities that have resulted from globalisation, which he described as a "blind process" that has led to uneven development and created more losers than winners in the developing world.
The 82-year-old Gorbachev was the last leader of the Soviet Union, and the reforms he put in place helped lead to the fall of Communism.
After becoming the Soviet leader in March 1985, he pursued the policies of using "glasnost" or openness, and "perestroika" or restructuring. While his intent had been only reform, the policies brought about democratic changes that eventually led to the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report