Ukraine forces fight fierce battle with eastern separatists
Kiev: Ukrainian forces and pro-Russian separatists were locked in a fierce battle in the rebellious east of the country on Thursday, Ukrainian military sources said.
The sources said there were reports that tanks had been deployed by both sides but this could not immediately be confirmed.
One military source said heavy fighting broke out at around 4 am near the town of Krasny Liman, which has been under government control since early this month, and that separatists in the area appeared to have tried to break through a cordon of government troops.
"There`s a major battle going on which exceeds in terms of force and scale anything there has been up to now," the military source said.
Dmytro Tymchuk, a military analyst who has good sources in the military, said separately that fighting had begun when separatists refused a call for them to lay down their arms in line with a peace plan outlined by President Petro Poroshenko.
Up to 4,000 separatist fighters could be involved and armored vehicles, possibly tanks, were being used by each side, the military source said.
"The anti-terrorist operation is continuing. There is a battle going on," government forces spokesman Vladyslav Seleznyov said.
Asked about the report that 4,000 separatists could be involved, Seleznyov replied: "Then, there`ll be 4,000 coffins".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says