Ukraine judge refuses to free ex-PM from custody
Kiev: A judge rejected a request by former Ukrainian prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko`s lawyers on Monday to free her from police detention during her trial on a charge of abuse of office.
The judge handed down his ruling as thousands of supporters gathered outside the courtroom on Kiev`s main thoroughfare, calling for her release from police custody.
Tymoshenko was placed in police detention last Friday for contempt of court after refusing repeatedly to cooperate with the judge and denouncing him as a "puppet" of President Viktor Yanukovich, her political opponent. The United States and the European Union have criticised her detention.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview