Ukraine police helicopter crashes, killing 5
Kiev (Ukraine): A police helicopter belonging to Ukraine`s Interior Ministry crashed shortly after takeoff on Wednesday in the central part of the country, killing five people on board, officials said.
The Mi-8 helicopter slammed into the ground at about 1930 IST just after taking off from an airport in the city of Alexandria in the Kirovograd region, about 320 kilometres southeast of the capital, Kiev, ministry spokesman Serhiy Burlakov said.
Investigators were working to determine what caused the helicopter to hit the ground as it was gaining speed today afternoon, Burlakov said. Three of the dead were crew members, and two were ground staff on board the helicopter.
The Mi-8 is a workhorse helicopter used widely in civilian and military aviation in former Soviet states. Mi-8 crashes are often blamed on poor maintenance, aging equipment, a disregard for safety regulations and a cost-cutting mentality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Petition in Pak court seeks registration of FIR against PM Modi
- HC junks Vodafone plea against IT demand of over Rs 7.5 crore
- Maruti Vitara Brezza receives over 1 lakh bookings
- Boman Irani was 'professional' with son Kayoze on '...Michael Mishra' set
- UP assembly elections: Congress plans massive road show, public meeting on July 25