Ukraine police helicopter crashes, killing 5
Kiev (Ukraine): A police helicopter belonging to Ukraine`s Interior Ministry crashed shortly after takeoff on Wednesday in the central part of the country, killing five people on board, officials said.
The Mi-8 helicopter slammed into the ground at about 1930 IST just after taking off from an airport in the city of Alexandria in the Kirovograd region, about 320 kilometres southeast of the capital, Kiev, ministry spokesman Serhiy Burlakov said.
Investigators were working to determine what caused the helicopter to hit the ground as it was gaining speed today afternoon, Burlakov said. Three of the dead were crew members, and two were ground staff on board the helicopter.
The Mi-8 is a workhorse helicopter used widely in civilian and military aviation in former Soviet states. Mi-8 crashes are often blamed on poor maintenance, aging equipment, a disregard for safety regulations and a cost-cutting mentality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical