Ukraine police helicopter crashes, killing 5
Kiev (Ukraine): A police helicopter belonging to Ukraine`s Interior Ministry crashed shortly after takeoff on Wednesday in the central part of the country, killing five people on board, officials said.
The Mi-8 helicopter slammed into the ground at about 1930 IST just after taking off from an airport in the city of Alexandria in the Kirovograd region, about 320 kilometres southeast of the capital, Kiev, ministry spokesman Serhiy Burlakov said.
Investigators were working to determine what caused the helicopter to hit the ground as it was gaining speed today afternoon, Burlakov said. Three of the dead were crew members, and two were ground staff on board the helicopter.
The Mi-8 is a workhorse helicopter used widely in civilian and military aviation in former Soviet states. Mi-8 crashes are often blamed on poor maintenance, aging equipment, a disregard for safety regulations and a cost-cutting mentality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Oh blonde! Anusha Dandekar and boyfriend Karan Kundra go twinning—See pics
- Egypt's Sisi says Putin ready to host Mideast peace talks
- Usain Bolt pictured with Brazilian student on 30th Birthday – Photos go Viral!
- India ready to give 'all help': EAM Swaraj to Myanmar
- Iran chastises Russia for publicising use of Iranian bases