Ukraine president appoints new defense officials
Kiev: Ukraine`s president has appointed new officials to top defense posts as he pledged to stamp out the corruption that has left the country`s armed forces faltering before a pro-Russian insurgency.
A statement published online late yesterday announced the appointments of Col Gen Valery Heletey as defense minister and Lt Gen Viktor Muzhenko as chief of the military`s General Staff.
Poroshenko also appointed Yury Kosyuk, an agriculture magnate and one of Ukraine`s richest men, to oversee defense issues in the presidential administration, and promised to "purge the army of thieves and grafters."
Accusations of corruption have been rife as Kiev`s operation against the rebels continues.
Kiev has struggled to assert control over the country`s industrial east, where fighting between government troops and pro-Russia separatists has claimed more than 400 lives since April.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured