Ukraine president appoints new defense officials
Kiev: Ukraine`s president has appointed new officials to top defense posts as he pledged to stamp out the corruption that has left the country`s armed forces faltering before a pro-Russian insurgency.
A statement published online late yesterday announced the appointments of Col Gen Valery Heletey as defense minister and Lt Gen Viktor Muzhenko as chief of the military`s General Staff.
Poroshenko also appointed Yury Kosyuk, an agriculture magnate and one of Ukraine`s richest men, to oversee defense issues in the presidential administration, and promised to "purge the army of thieves and grafters."
Accusations of corruption have been rife as Kiev`s operation against the rebels continues.
Kiev has struggled to assert control over the country`s industrial east, where fighting between government troops and pro-Russia separatists has claimed more than 400 lives since April.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Union Cabinet reshuffle? PM Modi seeks 'self appraisal' report from NDA govt ministers
- Rio Olympics: IOC denies wild card entry to Mary Kom for quadrennial event
- Hall of Shame: SBI says no law broken in funding cluster bomb maker
- Salman Khan ‘raped woman’ remark controversy: Case filed in UP court
- Shocking! 'Incorruptible' ex-BSP MLA, family live in tarpaulin tent by roadside - Know why