Ukraine president appoints new defense officials
Kiev: Ukraine`s president has appointed new officials to top defense posts as he pledged to stamp out the corruption that has left the country`s armed forces faltering before a pro-Russian insurgency.
A statement published online late yesterday announced the appointments of Col Gen Valery Heletey as defense minister and Lt Gen Viktor Muzhenko as chief of the military`s General Staff.
Poroshenko also appointed Yury Kosyuk, an agriculture magnate and one of Ukraine`s richest men, to oversee defense issues in the presidential administration, and promised to "purge the army of thieves and grafters."
Accusations of corruption have been rife as Kiev`s operation against the rebels continues.
Kiev has struggled to assert control over the country`s industrial east, where fighting between government troops and pro-Russia separatists has claimed more than 400 lives since April.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir