Ukraine rebels shoot down military plane, spokesman says 49 dead
Kiev/Donetsk: Forty-nine Ukrainian military personnel were killed when rebels shot down a cargo plane during the night over the airport of the eastern city of Luhansk, a military spokesman said on Saturday.
Luhansk is one of the centres of a pro-Russian separatist movement in Ukraine`s east which has risen up against the pro-European government in Kiev.
"On the night of June 13-14, the terrorists...fired from an anti-aircraft weapon and a large calibre machine gun, shooting down an Il-76 military transport aircraft ... as it was about to land," the Defence Ministry said in a statement.
It gave no death toll but a military spokesman, Vladislav Seleznyov, later said by telephone that 49 had been killed.
The toll would be the biggest suffered by government forces in a single incident since Kiev started a military operation to try to defeat the insurgency in east Ukraine, which the rebels want to be part of Russia.
Scores of people, including rebels, civilians and government troops, have been killed in the violence since April.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley