Kiev: Ukrainian forces on Tuesday went on the attack against pro-Russian insurgents in the separatist east in defiance of European efforts to extend a shaky 10-day truce.
Western-backed President Petro Poroshenko told the nation in an emotional late-night address that his peace plan for Ukraine`s worst crisis since independence was being used by the militias to regroup and stock up on heavy arms from Russia.
"After examining the situation I have decided, as commander-in-chief of the armeTd forces, not to extend the unilateral ceasefire," the 48-year-old said from his office.
"The separatists` leaders have demonstrated their unwillingness and inability to control the actions of the terrorist units and marauding gangs under their control."
Parliament speaker Oleksandr Turchynov told a morning session of parliament that the "active phase" of the military operation had already resumed.
"Our armed forces are attacking the terrorists` bases and strongholds," Turchynov announced.
Both separatist fighters and pro-Kiev leaders reported a series of new skirmishes breaking out today morning across the eastern rustbelt - home to seven million mostly Russian speakers.
The regional administration of Donetsk - which has declared its allegiance to Moscow along with the neighbouring border province of Lugansk - said four civilians were killed in a rebel attack on a bus near the town of Kramatorsk.
Western-backed Hromadske TV in Kiev said its journalist and cameraman were abducted in the Lugansk region. Sporadic exchanges of fire were also reported in the early morning in the centre of the million-stong city of Donetsk.
Poroshenko`s decision came just hours after the leaders of France and Germany joined him on a conference call to Russian President Vladimir Putin - the third such conversation in five days.
French President Francois Hollande and German Chancellor Angela Merkel were in rare agreement with Putin that Poroshenko should extend the truce to give indirect talks between separatist commanders and Kiev a chance.