Ukraine relaunches attack on rebels after failed truce
Kiev: Ukrainian forces on Tuesday went on the attack against pro-Russian insurgents in the separatist east in defiance of European efforts to extend a shaky 10-day truce.
Western-backed President Petro Poroshenko told the nation in an emotional late-night address that his peace plan for Ukraine`s worst crisis since independence was being used by the militias to regroup and stock up on heavy arms from Russia.
"After examining the situation I have decided, as commander-in-chief of the armeTd forces, not to extend the unilateral ceasefire," the 48-year-old said from his office.
"The separatists` leaders have demonstrated their unwillingness and inability to control the actions of the terrorist units and marauding gangs under their control."
Parliament speaker Oleksandr Turchynov told a morning session of parliament that the "active phase" of the military operation had already resumed.
"Our armed forces are attacking the terrorists` bases and strongholds," Turchynov announced.
Both separatist fighters and pro-Kiev leaders reported a series of new skirmishes breaking out today morning across the eastern rustbelt - home to seven million mostly Russian speakers.
The regional administration of Donetsk - which has declared its allegiance to Moscow along with the neighbouring border province of Lugansk - said four civilians were killed in a rebel attack on a bus near the town of Kramatorsk.
Western-backed Hromadske TV in Kiev said its journalist and cameraman were abducted in the Lugansk region. Sporadic exchanges of fire were also reported in the early morning in the centre of the million-stong city of Donetsk.
Poroshenko`s decision came just hours after the leaders of France and Germany joined him on a conference call to Russian President Vladimir Putin - the third such conversation in five days.
French President Francois Hollande and German Chancellor Angela Merkel were in rare agreement with Putin that Poroshenko should extend the truce to give indirect talks between separatist commanders and Kiev a chance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing