Ukraine risks `full-scale conflict`: Patriarch
Kiev: The powerful Ukrainian Orthodox Patriarch Filaret warned on Wednesday that continued violence in Kiev could lead to a civil conflict and called on the government to sign a pact with the European Union.
"Force will only radicalise the protest and cause our country to slide into a full-scale civil conflict," the Patriarch said in a statement, calling for dialogue between the government, the opposition and society, and a "moratorium on use of force."
The government`s refusal to sign the Association Agreement with the European Union sparked the biggest protests in Ukraine since the 2004 Orange Revolution.
"Considering that putting off the signing of the EU Association Agreement was the initial reason for civic protests, the most reasonable exit from the crisis is a quick conclusion of negotiations and signing this agreement," Filaret said.
Filaret, 84, has been the head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church`s Kiev Patriarchate since it separated from the Moscow Patriarchate in the early 1990.
About half of Orthodox Ukrainians, mostly in central and western Ukraine, associate with his church, which is the main religious force in the country that also has a sizeable Catholic population.
Filaret has supported the protest on Independence Square and the Church`s Mikhailovsky monastery sheltered and tended to protesters after police swept the square on December 1, causing injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read