Ukraine, Russia united in Orthodox faith: Russian patriarch
Moscow: The head of the Russian Orthodox Church led prayers in Moscow for the Russians of Ukraine on Saturday, condemning those who he said wanted to "destroy Holy Russia".
"Ukraine is politically a foreign country (but) spiritually and historically that was never the case," Patriarch Kirill said before the start of observances on the eve of Orthodox Easter at Moscow`s Christ the Saviour Cathedral.
"We are a single people before God. We have the same Orthodox faith," he said.
"We must today pray for the Russian people who live in Ukraine, for the Lord to bring peace to the Ukrainian land ... that he brings an end to the designs of those who want to destroy Holy Russia," Kirill said.
The 67-year-old patriarch said "this has happened many times in history, but no one has ever succeeded."
He was speaking as a counterpart in Kiev -- the Kyivan Patriarch Filaret -- labelled Russia an "enemy" whose attack on Ukraine is doomed to fail.
"The country which gave us a guarantee of our territorial integrity has committed an attack. God cannot be on the side of evil, and that is why the enemy of the Ukrainian people is condemned to fail," Patriarch Filaret said in his pascal homily.
The Eastern Rite in Ukraine is split between the Moscow Patriarchate led by Kirill and the Kyivan Patriarchate led by Filaret.
The Moscow Patriarchate claims several million followers.
This year Easter falls on the same day, Sunday, for both the Eastern and Western rites of Christianity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?