Ukraine: US says Russia`s seat at G8 summit at risk
Washington: US Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew warned Russia today that its actions in Ukraine have put its role in the elite Group of Eight club of leading nations at risk.
With Russia to host a summit of G8 leaders in Sochi in June, Lew linked its incursion into Ukraine`s Crimea and interventions in the country`s politics to Moscow`s continuing position in the G8.
"We are on a path where I think it`s clear Russia cannot sit in Sochi at G8 meetings while it`s pursuing the policies that it`s now pursuing," Lew told a Senate committee.
"Russia has to be held accountable for the actions it has taken, and also has to have a path to step back from what is a dangerous escalation," Lew said.
Washington and European powers have stepped up pressure on Moscow as the country remains defiant over a move by pro-Moscow troops to seize authority in the Ukrainian region of Crimea.
US President Barack Obama said yesterday Russia was "not fooling anyone" after it claimed it had no troops operating in Crimea.
Lew`s warning came shortly after US Secretary of State John Kerry met in Paris with Russia`s Foreign minister Sergei Lavrov for talks on the Ukraine crisis.
On Saturday, Kerry warned Moscow it could lose its G8 membership due to the Crimea incursion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval