Ukraine warns of banking losses over Crimea
Kiev: Losing Crimea could result in millions in banking losses for the mainland, Ukraine`s central bank governor warned Thursday, as the autonomous region looked likely to vote to join Russia in a weekend referendum.
"There are 20-22 billion hryvnia (1.5-1.7 billion euros, $2.1-2.4 billion) in assets and liabilities (in Crimea)," Stepan Kubiv told journalists, less than three weeks after he took over the reins at the central bank.
"This can be lost if Crimea goes to Russia," said the former parliamentary deputy, who took office as a new government was installed in Kiev following the ouster of pro-Moscow president Viktor Yanukovych.
"More than 20 medium and large Ukrainian banks have branches and subsidiaries in Crimea," he added, citing a total 1,022 branches in the Russian-controlled Black Sea peninsula.
"We are closely working to monitor the situation with our regional (central bank) branch in Crimea" he concluded, dismissing talk of centrally-imposed cash withdrawal limits.
Cash transportation to the peninsula was however hampered "and we cannot ensure the transportation of cash even within Crimea," possibly pushing individual bank branches to limit transactions if they ran short on cash, he said.
Analysts have warned of painful consequences for the southern Ukrainian region if it does secede from the mainland, with investments, tourism and agriculture likely to be affected.
Crimea is due to vote in a referendum on Sunday on whether it should join Russia, a move the new powers in Kiev have slammed as illegal, even as Russian forces continue to surround Ukrainian military bases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you