Ukraine`s Poroshenko hails start of dialogue with Russia amid crisis
Zee Media Bureau
Kiev: In what is being seen as a breakthrough, Ukraine`s President-elect Petro Poroshenko has hailed a meeting with the Russian President Vladimir Putin after recent tension between the two countries.
Putin has also called for ceasefire ahead of the talks which are due to be held on Sunday.
The meeting is scheduled to take place a day after Poroshenko will be sworn-in as the new leader of the country on Saturday.
Soon after being elected to the office, Poroshenko held a meeting on the sidelines during the D-Day commemoration ceremony in France with Putin.
The two leaders interacted for 15 minutes and discussed over defusing the crisis in the eastern Ukraine in the presence of German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
The billionaire chocolate tycoon was elected to the country`s top office after he secured 54.7 per cent of votes after winning the elections that were held in May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet