Ukrainian charged over bid to hijack Turkish plane
Istanbul: An Istanbul court Sunday charged a Ukrainian man over his failed attempt to force a Turkish airliner to land in Sochi where the Winter Olympics opening ceremony was underway.
The Dogan news agency said the man had been placed in provisional detention, but did not specify the charge against the 45-year-old Ukrainian identified in Turkish media as Artem Kozlov.
The crime of hijacking an aircraft carries a penalty of up to 20 years in prison in Turkey. Anti-terrorist police interrogated the suspect who was taken into custody on Friday after two Turkish F-16 jets forced the airliner down at Istanbul`s Sabiha Gokcen airport.
The man was said to have railed against Ukraine`s President Viktor Yanukovych and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin, accusing them of having their hands "drenched in blood".
He demanded the Istanbul-bound Boeing 737 jet be flown to Sochi where Yanukovych was holding crisis talks with Putin on the sidelines of the Games` opening ceremony.
The would-be hijacker -- reported by one official in Kiev as being "in an advanced state of drunkenness" -- brandished what he said was a detonator as he tried gaining access to the cockpit. He was later found to be carrying no weapons or explosives.
The plane, operated by Turkey`s Pegasus Airlines, left from the eastern Ukrainian city of Kharkiv with 110 people on board.
The crew tied the man up with rope after tricking him into believing they were headed for Sochi. Ukraine has launched its own terror probe into the incident.
Kiev has been rocked by over two months of massive and often violent protests since Yanukovych ditched an historic EU trade and political pact in favour of closer ties with its former Soviet master Moscow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Know more about 5000-year-old Shiva Linga
- BlackBerry announces DTEK50 smartphone with Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- Mobile communication partially restored in Kashmir Valley
- Madhavan delighted with 'Saala Khadoos' being lauded in Canada
- Ranveer Singh's 6-pack abs will give you serious fitness goals! Watch video