Ukrainian forces attack pro-Russia rebels
Kiev: Ukrainian forces Thursday attacked pro-Russia rebels in the country`s eastern region after they refused to surrender under President Petro Poroshenko`s peace plan, a British daily reported.
Kiev`s "anti-terrorist operation" to take back the Donetsk and Lugansk regions gave a three-hour ultimatum to the rebels to give up their arms, the Guardian quoted government spokesperson Vladislav Seleznyov as saying.
But with no response, government forces attacked Krasny Liman and several other cities, Seleznyov added.
"You will all be destroyed! There will be no further warnings!" read the leaflets dropped in the rebel-held regions.
A separate leaflet for peaceful citizens in the city of Krasny Liman warned that "fighters plan to hide behind your backs" and told them to leave the city.
The fresh assaults came as NATO said Russia had resumed a miltary build-up near Ukraine. NATO Secretary General, Anders Fogh Rassmussen, described it as "a very regrettable step backward". He said it appeared Moscow wanted to keep the option to intevene.
Poroshenko Wednesday announced a peace plan, which was intended to begin with a one-sided ceasefire followed by the disarming of "illegal military formations". His statement followed a phone call with Russian President Vladimir Putin, whom Kiev has accused of fomenting the conflict in the east.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'