Ukrainian forces attack pro-Russia rebels
Kiev: Ukrainian forces Thursday attacked pro-Russia rebels in the country`s eastern region after they refused to surrender under President Petro Poroshenko`s peace plan, a British daily reported.
Kiev`s "anti-terrorist operation" to take back the Donetsk and Lugansk regions gave a three-hour ultimatum to the rebels to give up their arms, the Guardian quoted government spokesperson Vladislav Seleznyov as saying.
But with no response, government forces attacked Krasny Liman and several other cities, Seleznyov added.
"You will all be destroyed! There will be no further warnings!" read the leaflets dropped in the rebel-held regions.
A separate leaflet for peaceful citizens in the city of Krasny Liman warned that "fighters plan to hide behind your backs" and told them to leave the city.
The fresh assaults came as NATO said Russia had resumed a miltary build-up near Ukraine. NATO Secretary General, Anders Fogh Rassmussen, described it as "a very regrettable step backward". He said it appeared Moscow wanted to keep the option to intevene.
Poroshenko Wednesday announced a peace plan, which was intended to begin with a one-sided ceasefire followed by the disarming of "illegal military formations". His statement followed a phone call with Russian President Vladimir Putin, whom Kiev has accused of fomenting the conflict in the east.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional