Ukrainian government ready for constitutional reforms: PM
Kiev: Ukraine`s government is prepared to conduct constitutional changes, granting more say to local governments on budget and tax policy and giving the Russian language a special status to overcome the current crisis in the country, Prime Minister Arseny Yatsenyuk said here Friday.
"The Ukrainian government is ready to conduct comprehensive constitutional reform that will strengthen the regions` powers," Xinhua quoted Yatsenyuk as saying in a televised address to the nation.
Within the framework of reform, he said, Kiev would give executive powers to locally elected officials in place of those currently appointed by central government.
He also promised to amend the country`s budget and tax codes in a bid to transfer economic and financial powers to the regional governments. "We will accord special status to the Russian language and protect this language."
At present, millions of Ukrainians speak Russian as a first language in regions where Russian-speakers form a majority, while some other languages are spoken in certain parts of Ukraine, notably Hungarian, Romanian and Slovak in the west.
Constitutional reform on decentralisation is one of the key demands of pro-Russian protesters, who seized several government buildings in eastern Ukrainian cities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof