`Ukrainian leader Yulia brutally beaten in jail’
Kiev: Eugenia Tymoshenko, the daughter of jailed Ukrainian opposition leader Yulia Tymoshenko, has said that her mother is being "brutally beaten" in prison.
Eugenia claimed that her mother was badly beaten up on the evening of April 20, when prison guards arrived in her cell to transfer her to hospital.
“They started moving towards her and surrounded her bed. My mother felt these were the last minutes of her life. They grabbed a thick woollen blanket from her bed, pulling her off the bed. She managed to stick her hand out and resisted, protecting her life. The vice-head then punched her in the stomach,” The Guardian quoted Eugenia, as saying.
“She couldn`t breathe after the punch. She started screaming, when they were bringing her out of the building. She passed out in the ambulance. She recovered conscious in hospital. She refused everything. She took only painkillers,” she added.
She said her mother was now back in prison and "very physically weak", who was now reportedly on the 13th day of a hunger strike, her daughter revealed.
Eugenia along with the supporters of Tymoshenko, who is currently serving a seven-year sentence since October last year for alleged ‘abuse of office’, claimed that it was all done by her rival President Viktor Yanukovych to gain revenge on her.
“Yanukovych is probably persecuting my mother out of revenge,” she said.
Interestingly, Ukrainian prosecutors claimed that Timoshenko’s injuries were self-inflicted.
However, Eugenia claimed her mother’s cell was under 24-hour video surveillance, and said the authorities could release tapes proving what had happened.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'