UK’s 1st female Muslim cabinet minister accused of betraying her religion
London: Baroness and Tory leader Sayeeda Warsi may be the first Muslim woman to hold a full Cabinet Post, but Muslim fundamentalists see her as an apostate who is hardly representative of the Muslim community.
She has also been warned of physical harm if she visits Muslim pockets. Last year, she was pelted with eggs by Muslim protesters when she visited Luton, Bedfordshire.
Anjem Choudhary, a firebrand radical preacher whose group Islam4UK was banned by the last government, accuses her of betraying her religion by supporting the British Army’s involvement in Islamic countries.
He told the Daily Star, “Sayeeda Warsi is not a Muslim in my eyes. She may look like a Muslim and have a Muslim-sounding name but she does not represent Islam or anyone in this country who is a Muslim”.
“She is a ‘coconut’, brown on the outside but white on the inside. In fact, she is whiter than most of the other white people in government,” he said.
“How can she be a Muslim and support the military involvement of the British Army in Islamic countries? She will be attacked by eggs every time she goes near a Muslim community,” he said.
“Some more extreme protesters may take the attacks further. There is no doubt she is in danger,” Choudhary added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling