UK`s first astronaut to go on space mission in 2015
London: Britain`s first "official" astronaut, 41-year-old Major Tim Peake, has been selected to go on a five-month mission to the International Space Station in 2015, a media report said on Sunday.
Peake, a former army helicopter pilot, graduated as a European Space Agency astronaut more than two years ago and has been waiting for a space mission since then, the Guardian daily said.
However, Peake has been assigned a lengthy stay in orbit in 2015.
He will take off on a Russian Soyuz rocket from Kazakhstan in November 2015, and will take part in spacewalks and other complex scientific activities.
British space officials are, however, yet to reveal any information about Peake`s forthcoming mission, the daily said.
Peake, who is married and has two sons, is considered to be Britain`s first official astronaut because British citizens who have flown to space in the past have either been privately funded for their missions or have made the space journey as citizens of other countries.
Helen Sharman flew on a Russian rocket in 1991, and Nick Foale and Piers Sellers have both flown on the US space shuttle, after taking American citizenship.
Peake was picked to be one of six ESA astronauts who were selected, in 2009, from several thousand candidates.
During their 14-month training programme, the six travelled to NASA`s astronaut base in Houston, the Russian astronaut training centre in Star City outside Moscow, Tsukuba Space Centre in Japan, and spent two weeks on a survival course in Sardinia.
Peake completed his training in November 2010 and has been waiting to be assigned a spaceflight.
However, he has denied that the wait was causing problems.
"No, it doesn`t get frustrating at all - there`s just so much going on, so much diversity, and there`s brilliant training all along the way," he told BBC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what