UK’s Girl Guides set to drop God and Queen from its oath
London: The Girl Guides in Britain are considering dropping any mention of God or the Queen from its oath, in one of the biggest shake-ups in their 102-year history.
Girlguiding UK, the parent organization which encompasses the Guides, Brownies and Rainbows, launched a consultation that could see significant changes to the pledge girls take on joining.
The organization’s new chief executive, Julie Bentley, said that the promise has been part of the Girl Guides since its beginning, it is crucial and unique, the Daily Mail reports.
She said that some members of its organization find some parts of the oath challenging, and when members do make that oath they want them to mean it and believe it.
According to the report, she told the Guardian that this was ‘in no way a watering down of the organization’s values or moral compass’.
The move follows a similar consultation by the Scout Association, which is also considering providing an alternative promise to welcome atheists as full members after complaints from parents and campaigners, the report said.
The consultation, which will close on March 3, is open both to members of the organisation and those outside it.
Guides currently promise to do their best, love ‘my God’, serve ‘the Queen and country’ and keep the Guides’ law, the report said.
Girlguiding UK has 538,247 members, including 63,000 trained volunteers, but last year more than 50,000 girls were on waiting lists to join because of a lack of leaders, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Flood situation remains grim in UP, MP and Bihar; Ganga flowing above danger mark
- Grand welcome back home: PV Sindhu, Pullela Gopichand thank Telangana government for wonderful reception
- Imtiaz Ali permitted Shah Rukh Khan to upload this picture from the sets of 'The Ring'! – View inside
- Aprilia SR 150 to be launched at Rs 65,000; book via PayTM, get 100% cashback on booking amount
- Shah Rukh Khan just apologised to 'Dil Se' co-star Preity Zinta! Here's why