UK’s greatest foes: Tipu Sultan, Rani of Jhansi
London: Tipu Sultan and Rani of Jhansi have
been included in a poll by the National Army Museum in London
to find Britain`s most formidable foes among 20 contrasting
personalities that share a common trait of giving the British
forces a tough time.
The poll, which includes 20 enemy commanders including
Tipu Sultan and Rani of Jhansi, seeks to find Britain`s most
formidable foes since the modern Army came into being in the
The list of enemy commanders includes the likes of Erwin
Rommel from Germany, Napoleon Bonaparte, Zulu warrior
Ntshingwayo kaMahole and Afghanistan`s Muhammad Akbar Khan.
Former US president George Washington, Mustafa Kemal
Ataturk of Turkey, Irish republican Michael Collins, Boer War
commander Louis Botha and Japanese World War II general
Tomoyuki Yamashita are also on the list.
The top five military leaders would be decided by the
online poll which closes on March 30, when historians will
make the final choice.
The favourites from the online survey so far are Irish
republican Michael Collins, French emperor Napoleon and
Germany`s field marshal Erwin Rommel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed