UN: 150 people drown after boat wreck off Tunisia
Geneva: Many women and children are among
150 people that drowned after a ship carrying some 850
migrants, including Pakistanis and Bangladeshis, fleeing the
conflict in Libya capsized off Tunisia`s coast, the United
Nations refugee agency said on Saturday.
The tragedy appears to be one of the worst and the
deadliest incidents in the Mediterranean so far this year,
said Adrian Edwards, the spokesman for the UNHCR.
The Geneva-based agency said at least 578 of the
estimated 850 people on board, mostly from West Africa,
Pakistan and Bangladesh, survived the Wednesday sinking.
The boat, manned by people with little or no maritime
experience, set sail on Saturday afternoon from the Libyan
capital Tripoli and was headed for Lampedusa in Italy, Edwards
"It ran into difficulties soon after departure and
experienced problems with its steering and power," he said.
"Effectively lost at sea, by the third day of the journey the
passengers ran out of food and water."
The boat ultimately ran aground on Wednesday on a
sandbank near the Kerkennah islands, some 300 kilometers
northwest of Tripoli. It capsized as desperate passengers
rushed to one side, seeking rescue by the Tunisian coast guard
and fishing boats that had approached the vessel.
Many fell into the water and women and children are
among the missing, survivors told the refugee agency.
UNHCR, however, revised its earlier statement which said that
150 bodies had been recovered from the sea.
Col. Jalloul Jaballah, who heads the emergency
response unit in the region near the shipwreck, says that only
one body has been pulled out of the water and another person
died while being transferred, as bad weather has prevented any
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre