UN announces $25 mn aid for typhoon relief in Philippines
United Nations: The UN humanitarian relief office Monday released $25 million in response to the devastation caused by a super typhoon which ripped through the Philippines over the weekend.
John Ging, director of the Operation Division for the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), said the funds were released from the UN Central Emergency Response Fund ( CERF) "to enable humanitarian agencies to mobilise their response quickly", Xinhua reported.
As one of the strongest storms ever to make landfall, the super typhoon Haiyan cut a path of destruction through several central islands across the Philippines, leaving the seaside city of Tacloban in ruins and leading to an early estimates of as many as 10,000 dead, reports said.
Haiyan, the biggest typhoon recorded in almost a century, has affected nearly 9.8 million people and displaced an estimated 660, 000 people, Ging said at a press conference at the UN headquarters in New York.
"The devastation has been huge ... all of our efforts are on mobilising very quickly and on responding on an equally massive scale," Ging said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes