UN announces new agency for women
United Nations: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon Tuesday announced a new agency - UN Women - headed by former Chilean president Michelle Bachelet, to oversee all programmes aimed at promoting equality for women.
"Ms. Bachelet brings to this critical position a history of dynamic global leadership, highly honed political skills and uncommon ability to create consensus and focus among UN agencies and many partners in both the public and private sector," Ban said at the UN headquarters in New York.
"I`m confident that under her strong leadership, we can improve the lives of millions of women and girls throughout the world," Ban said of Chile`s first female head of state.
He said the creation of UN Women is the fruit of four years of effort to achieve one of his priorities as secretary-general.
The process to select the head of UN Women began shortly after the General Assembly approved the plan for the new agency in July 2009 and a 26-member selection committee proposed three candidates.
Ban chose Bachelet, who the committee unanimously endorsed, he said.
UN Women, set to become operational in January 2011, will merge the UN Development Fund for Women, the Division for the Advancement of Women, the Office of the Special Adviser on Gender Issues, and the UN International Research and Training Institute for the Advancement of Women.
The agency`s status will be comparable to that of Unicef and Bachelet will hold the rank of deputy secretary-general.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister