UN approves new body to promote women`s equality
United Nations: The General Assembly has unanimously approved the establishment of a single UN agency to promote equality for women.
The resolution adopted by consensus by the 192-member world body will put four existing UN bodies dealing with the advancement of women under a single umbrella that will be known as "UN Women." Diplomats burst into applause when Assembly President Ali Abdessalam Treki banged his gavel signifying approval yesterday.
"This is truly a watershed day," Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said. "By bringing together four parts of the UN system dedicated to women`s issues, member states have created a much stronger voice for women and for gender equality at the
"It will now be much more difficult for the world to ignore the challenges facing women and girls or to fail to take the necessary action," he said.
Approval of the resolution culminates a four-year campaign to streamline the UN`s activities promoting the status of women led by the European Union and strongly
supported by women`s organizations and other non-governmental groups who hailed the birth of UN Women.
Deputy Secretary-General Asha-Rose Migiro called the vote "historic," saying UN Women will for the first time give the United Nations a "single recognized driver" to direct and accelerate progress towards the goals of women`s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview