UN approves new body to promote women`s equality
United Nations: The General Assembly has unanimously approved the establishment of a single UN agency to promote equality for women.
The resolution adopted by consensus by the 192-member world body will put four existing UN bodies dealing with the advancement of women under a single umbrella that will be known as "UN Women." Diplomats burst into applause when Assembly President Ali Abdessalam Treki banged his gavel signifying approval yesterday.
"This is truly a watershed day," Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said. "By bringing together four parts of the UN system dedicated to women`s issues, member states have created a much stronger voice for women and for gender equality at the
"It will now be much more difficult for the world to ignore the challenges facing women and girls or to fail to take the necessary action," he said.
Approval of the resolution culminates a four-year campaign to streamline the UN`s activities promoting the status of women led by the European Union and strongly
supported by women`s organizations and other non-governmental groups who hailed the birth of UN Women.
Deputy Secretary-General Asha-Rose Migiro called the vote "historic," saying UN Women will for the first time give the United Nations a "single recognized driver" to direct and accelerate progress towards the goals of women`s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs