UN calls for global efforts to ban n-tests
United Nations: The UN has stressed on the importance of a global ban on nuclear tests, while calling for international efforts to achieve the goal of a safer and more secure world.
Marking the International Day against Nuclear Tests, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon highlighted the importance of Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) in his message, Xinhua reported Thursday.
"It is time to avert any more of the horrific human and environmental effects caused by nuclear tests through a global ban, the most reliable means possible to meet this challenge," Ban said.
Calling for maintenance and implementation of moratoria on nuclear explosions, the UN chief said: "There are no justifiable grounds for further delay in achieving this great goal."
"Let us work together to end nuclear weapons testing and achieve a world free of nuclear weapons."
The UN General Assembly has chosen Aug 29 as the annual commemoration date since 1991 when Semipalatinsk, one of the world`s largest test sites located in north-eastern Kazakhstan, was closed permanently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi