UN calls for global efforts to ban n-tests
United Nations: The UN has stressed on the importance of a global ban on nuclear tests, while calling for international efforts to achieve the goal of a safer and more secure world.
Marking the International Day against Nuclear Tests, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon highlighted the importance of Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) in his message, Xinhua reported Thursday.
"It is time to avert any more of the horrific human and environmental effects caused by nuclear tests through a global ban, the most reliable means possible to meet this challenge," Ban said.
Calling for maintenance and implementation of moratoria on nuclear explosions, the UN chief said: "There are no justifiable grounds for further delay in achieving this great goal."
"Let us work together to end nuclear weapons testing and achieve a world free of nuclear weapons."
The UN General Assembly has chosen Aug 29 as the annual commemoration date since 1991 when Semipalatinsk, one of the world`s largest test sites located in north-eastern Kazakhstan, was closed permanently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron
- Britain probes whether some Sharia courts legitimise forced marriage, divorces unfair to women
- PM Modi to flag-off Mizoram’s first broad-gauge passenger train from Bairabi to Silchar today